General tips, on how to install or hang plasterboard.
- Plasterboard sheets should always be placed at right angles to framing members.
- Plasterboard should always have a 10mm gap between the floor and the 1st wall sheet.
- Never place a nail next to or through a daub of plasterboard adhesive.
- Only apply plasterboard adhesive when you are ready to fix the plasterboard sheet. If the plasterboard adhesive is applied too soon, it will form a skin and not bond to the plasterboard sheet.
- Evenly space plasterboard adhesive daubs across the width of the sheet.
- Do not nail centre of plasterboard wall sheets. If the plasterboard sheets need pinning back, nail through a temporary plasterboard block and remove the block and nail after the plasterboard adhesive has set. This will prevent popped nail heads.
- Keep plasterboard nails around doors and window close enough to the edge so the architrave will cover them.
- Make sure all plasterboard nail heads are below the surface. (If you break the paper around a nail head put another nail beside it to avoid popping).
- Double nail or screw the center of plasterboard ceiling sheets about 40 mm apart, this helps prevent plasterboard nails or screws popping.
- Wherever possible keep plasterboard recessed edges together and butt edges together. Avoid plasterboard recessed edges and butt edges adjoining each other.
- Never place plasterboard butt joints directly over the door stud or window stud.
- Always back block plasterboard ceiling joins.
- Use plasterboard back blocking cement or cornice cement for back blocking.
- Citric acid will slow down the setting time of plasterboard back blocking/cornice cement, use about a teaspoon full in a back blocking mix.
How to cut plasterboard sheets
Tips on how to fix or hang plasterboard sheets to walls
Tips on how to fix or hang plasterboard sheets to ceilings
General tips on troweling or stopping up plasterboard joins